Long before we opened our doors, our neighbours in Tillsonburg and the surrounding counties of Oxford, Elgin and Norfolk set very high standards for giving. Wherever you look there are names inscribed on plaques, engraved on cobblestones and bricks, or printed on countless flyers under the words "Thank You!"
In the short time that Open Computing has been around, we have worked diligently to meet those standards. We provide time, skills, equipment and money to support many local events and charitable causes. And while money and equipment are crucial to any cause, for us a more precious resource to donate is our time. As with everyone else, we seem to have so little of it.
Below is a list of some of the efforts we have supported over the years:
- Station Arts Centre (Tillsonburg)
- Took over maintenance of current website
- Overhauled computing infrastructure to provide collaborative cloud-based computing services
- Donations to annual art auction
- Volunteer time and skills
- Tillsonburg Week Of Remembrance
- Tillsonburg goes out of its way to commemorate the sacrifices of Canadian soldiers. We are honoured to participate in this. (See 'Week of Remembrance' at www.militaryhistoryclub.ca)
- Sponsorship, time and technical support for events throughout the week.
- Community Living Haldimand
- Contributed time and skills to the Haldimand-Norfolk Seniors Partnership (www.lookahead.ca)
- Haldimand-Norfolk Women's Services
- Donations of time and skills to annual art auction in support of the women's shelter
- Tillsonburg District Chamber Of Commerce
- Delhi District Chamber of Commerce
- Sponsorship of team and prizes for annual Trivia Night fundraiser
- Backus Conservation Area (Long Point Region Conservation Authority)
- Created series of touch-screen kiosks for Interpretation Centre educational display on wildlife
- Tillsonburg Linux Users Group ("Tillug")
- Founded by members of Open Computing
- Sponsorships for many events including guest speakers, outings, and shows
- Ontario Electronics Recycling Drive
- A wonderful effort concieved and lead by Clinton Schroeder at Schroeder Computer Services (www.schroedercomputer.ca)
- Sponsorship and volunteer time
- Norfolk Christmas Food Drive
- Created on-line scheduling system to coordinate the efforts of Fire, EMS, OTU and O.P.P. for food drive volunteers.
- Simcoe and District Humane Society
- Tillsonburg Business Improvement Area
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters (Oxford County)
- Donations to fund-raising auction
- Tillsonburg Military History Club
- Simcoe Rotary
- Created website to help local Rotary club raise funds to build a girls school in Afghanistan as part of the larger Rotary Afghanistan Challenge. (www.rotary7090afghanistan.ca)
- La Salette Community Hall
- Royal Canadian Legion (Branch 153 - Tillsonburg)
- Created website for Victoria Cross Tattoo
- Tillsonburg Historical Society
- Canadian Federation Of University Women - Norfolk
- The Norfolk chapter of the organization that supports the education of women world-wide. (www.cfuw-norfolk.com)
- Web support.
- The WikiMedia Foundation
- Financial support for the open source project that benefits everyone: Wikipedia.
- The Document Foundation
- Financial support for the open source office suite that benefits everyone: LibreOffice.